Sunday 6 December 2015

Nearly Navidad

Hello friends,

IT’S DECEMBER, aaaaaaaaa!

Despite the many Christmas lights and decorations in the city (including fake snowy Christmas trees, yes, please help), the fact that it is 30 degrees makes it hard to feel like Christmas is really coming...

I’m happy happy here but am definitely ready to come home soon, so ready for that turkey. 

Speaking of turkey, I celebrated Thanksgiving properly for the first time and it was grand. Oh the perks of having American friends. My favourite part of the day was when I was asked whether the banoffee pie I had made was a salad....yes that happened. 

So, here’s what’s been going down these last few weeks...
1) Went on a weekend break to Tarija, a city in the south of Bolivia known for it’s wine, steak, cheese and cold meats. It was a dream. We visited vineyards had lots of fun and ate way too much. The city felt so different to Cbba and it was really lovely to see a new place. Also really cool that indigenous women wear different hats in different cities, loved that. Some airport highlights included seeing a Bolivian bring a giant sack of potatoes as their luggage (they sure do love their papas), seeing just how many forks had been confiscated from people’s hand luggage (they just love food in general) and having my name called out in the airport because I had to take all the wine out of my suitcase and just hold it on the plane, my pristine reputation really is taking a hit here. The Cbba basketball was on the same flight as us and when we arrived back here they had a massive crowd cheering for them, should've definitely got some autographs, dang it.
2) ENRIQUE came to town. Oh it was beautiful. The ticket said that the concert was on the 6th November at 6pm, we found out it was actually on the 25th November at 8pm, we got to the stadium at that time and were told it started at 10, and our friend Enrique showed up to his own concert at stinkin 11. Lucky he’s got a pretty face and some beauts tunes, hey. The support act was very funny (bad, very bad) but was great entertainment because he got very frustrated when he said things like “come on everybody, make some noise, aren’t you having a good time?!” and got no response at all... turns out it’s probably a good idea to speak in Spanish if you are addressing a Bolivian audience! 

3) Work has been very varied, sometimes not the greatest, but mostly quite fun! Last week my job was to translate Christmas songs, so that was enjoyable. I also learned that the lyrics to ‘Jingle bells’ in Spanish are just ‘Christmas, Christmas, Happy Christmas’, but what can you do really?! 

4)After having a complete replay of the typhoid saga (see my previous postings), but this time with some parasite friends living inside of me, I was finallyyyy able to get the typhoid jab, the celebrations were real.

Today is another pedestrian day, so it's now definitely time to go for a wander (and probably find ice cream, as that seems to be where most wanderings lead to).

Hope life is good over there and that you are enjoying all the festivities, I wish I could use a santa emoji in my blog.
Lots of love,

Liza x


No comments:

Post a Comment