Sunday 27 October 2013

Snyeg!!

(Snow!!)

One of my favourite Russian words so, as you can imagine, I was very excited that I could use it in October! The snow didn't really settle and Russians were complaining that it was way too early for it, but nonetheless, it was quite fun while it lasted and before it turned to rain. (and woah has it rained!) I've also experienced my first walk to the metro at -3 and could not feel my face, all is looking positive for when it gets to -20! :)

The last couple of weeks have been pretty good, really enjoying teaching and lessons weren't too shabby; I mostly learned that 'poop' is the Russian word for belly-button, if that doesn't cheer a person up, I don't know what will.

After this week we'll have a reading week which is exciting, currently planning where to go as there are sooo many options; sadly had to rule out Siberia as it would take the whole week to get there(!), but Finland and Latvia are the current contenders - will keep you posted. Love how it's such a huge country but it's actually quicker and cheaper to visit a different country than travel around Russia!

They are currently kind of refurbishing this block of flats which is quite a health and safety risk here to say the least (they randomly but bits of board or bricks or slippery paper all over the place and it seems to have no purpose whatsoever apart from to trip people over) my favourite part of the current obstacle course to get in and out of the flat requires a little drawing...


..so basically I am very glad I was looking where I was going when this appeared otherwise it could've ended very very badly for me with some sort of see-saw effect (if you can understand my drawing!). 

(Also, how odd is it that here squared paper is way cheaper than lined?! Maybe the Russians are really good at Maths or something, I really don't know)

Anyway, this leads me to my embarrassing story of the week which I'm sure you'd like to hear...I was on my way into the block of flats when I was confronted by a few builders all pointing to different places where I could and couldn't walk and speaking at the same time, I tried my hardest to follow their route but then definitely put my foot down right into some cement (so clever I know), they were of course very angry and started shouting at me which just made me laugh as I felt bad but didn't have a clue what they were saying (could perhaps guess some words!?). And well, I guess my foot print will be in the entrance of the flats for quite some time! Quite cool really...

Our babushka has gone of to her dacha again this weekend giving us a much needed break (and also a sneaky chance to hand-wash some cardigans without being told off for wasting water) so this was a bonus. The other day I dropped something under my bed and when I looked underneath it I was surprised (or maybe not all that surprised by now!) to see jar after jar of jam etc stored up for the winter...only in Russia.

But yep, it's been a good couple of weeks including a pancake party, a soviet doughnut cafe, some more fun times in the Hermitage (including a little bit of ancient rock-measuring - oh yes) and meeting lots of nice Russians. Also, I feel I forgot to mention last week that our neighbour has started playing "Rockin' around the Christmas tree" on repeat which either means they don't understand the English lyrics and don't know it's a Christmas song OR they think Christmas isn't too far away (I prefer the latter). 

Love, Лиза X

Little park I found near us - making the most of pretty parks before the rain came

Inside the Church of Spilled Blood

Ice hockey!

Puskin and a person with a leaf hat - soo cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment