Sunday 27 September 2015

Un mes :)

Hello again :)

I've been here a whole month, waaaaaaaaaaaa! And after a little bit of pestering I decided it must be time for another post, so here it is!

So, last Sunday was election day which meant there were no cars on the road once again! But this time there was no fun and partying, and no shops or businesses or parks were open, so for someone who can't vote (yet - residency here I come!) it wasn't the most exciting of days! But it sure was lovely to be able to lie on the roof in the middle of a really peaceful city and have a cheeky read in the sun! Only downside - alcohol was banned for a few days before, I mean, quite a clever idea really, but not ideal for a little gringo who had a hard week at work… pah. But yeah, voting is taken very seriously here, there are lots of consequences for not voting and it really is quite interesting, you should definitely go and see the new Sandra Bullock film when it comes out (Our Brand is Crisis), cos that's all about Bolivian elections, nice eh! Also, see it anyway, because 'any film with Sandy B in it is gonna be a good'un!' (Yeah Doug, here's your shout out).

But no, work is going well, I'm getting used to it and very much enjoying the challenge, the drama on the bus rides and of course, lunchtimes, it really is great trying out different Bolivian dishes!

I'm also getting used to the ridiculous number of parades that Bolivia has and absolutely loving them, apart from that time a couple of weeks ago when I was walking home from Church and got majorly stuck…yes I jumped in and hid among some teenagers dressed as fluffy fairies in high heeled boots in order to cross the road, and yes it was a successful technique.

Another thing I'm loving is the fruit here, from the ridiculously cheap oranges and lemons (hellloooo fresh OJ and lemonade), to the chirimoyas (yes, a real word and a yummy fruit), mangoes, avocados, passionfruit and erm, definitely not the pineapples. (See previous post, ha.)

I have been having a slightly more interesting experience on the vegetable side of life, bought what I thought were normal peppers the other day and had quite the shock when I tasted my chili, helppppp, very spicy, very spicy indeed. Learned a couple of lessons from this, and I sure will be checking my vegetables more closely from now on, and erm, not rubbing my eyes after chopping them.

I have just had a realisation. It's been a month. That means my visa has run out. Grrreattt! But hopefully all is good immigration wise - I sure have given many a finger print (and gone to work with blue hands due to being covered in ink from said finger prints) - so hopefully I'll be staying in the country and erm not paying the biggest fine.

It's starting to get nice and hot here (sorry guys) and I really am loving the feeling of living in this city :) you should all come visit already!

Lots of love, hope all is lovely over there,
Liza
x


Why not have traditional dancing to encourage people to pay taxes really?! (I still don't get it but it was wonderful, I so wish I had the moves to join in, and the costume.)

No comments:

Post a Comment