Sunday 29 September 2013

A whole month in Rossiyaa!

Yep, I've survived a month in the motherland, it's gone so quickly, but believe me there is already a whole list of things I miss from home, ranging from bacon (and most other good food, but mostly bacon) to Crunchie the cat.

 It's suddenly become very chilly here, when I last checked my babushka's thermoterything it was 3 degrees. 3! Very much looking forward to the snow, but I think that's still a while away. Heating here is controlled by the government (as far as I understood) so we'll have to wait and see when it comes on which will be a very exciting moment as scarves weren't made to be worn indoors and I left my zebra onesie in Birmingham.

My babushka has gone to her dacha again this weekend which gave us a nice little break - this week's lectures included "Liza, that is not how you cook pasta" to "Liza that is not how you mash potatoes"(both of these were skills I thought I'd mastered at uni...) and "Liza, you should be careful, Russians are dangerous" (my personal favourite). But, all is good here because a) I FOUND MY KEYS and b) we just made apple crumble and it was AMAZING. 

This week we were promoted from rock-sorting at the Hermitage and were actually allowed to greet visitors which was fun, I've perfected "Put your coat in the cloakroom" and "Rucksacks aren't allowed," and it was also very exciting when tourists looked very confused said "English, please?" really slowly and clearly, and I could just babble away. Maybe one day I'll be able to babble away in Russian. That's the dream.

Yesterday, we went up St Isaacs Cathedral in the centre which was incredible as you can see the whole of the city from the top, it was quite cool thinking "Wow, I get to live here" and I will try to remind myself of this next time I see a friend's gorgeous photos of sunny Spain, France or Italy!

Anyway, I'll leave you with some photos as I have a whole heap of homework to do for school tomorrow, I feel like I'm 15 all over again.

Love, Лиза

P.S. If you can find a way to send bacon in the post without it getting mouldy in the three weeks that the postal service to Russia takes, please do give it a go, I'll send you some gherkins or something in return.

Last week's rock sorting - oh yes.

View from the secret room in the Hermitage

Coat sale voucher! Which one shall I get?!

Found Crunchie on the metro - sorry for the blur but an old lady thought I was taking a photo of her.

I do love this city

 




No comments:

Post a Comment