Saturday 15 June 2013

Cochabambinos like to eat!

I've been here almost a week now and am definitely adjusting to the culture, yesterday I caught the bus for the first time on my own which was quite an experience, here there are no bus stops, you just stop any bus you like and hop on (I say 'bus' but most are more like our old sharan but somehow fit about the same amount of people as the 50 in Birmingham and play amazing Spanish music, love it) so yeah, I wasn't too sure where/how to get off, at one point I thought I was in the right place, so got the driver to stop, then realised I wasn't there yet, pretty embarrassing but hey, the locals enjoyed laughing at me! I was also charged like 17p instead of 10p for the ride, absolutely shocking!

Over the past few days I've tried out some of the local food, it's pretty yummy! Went out for an almuerzo which is a lunchtime meal  involving salad, bread, soup, meat, potatoes, rice, pasta, meatballs, vegetables and jelly (the jelly was for pudding - don't worry) all in all this cost £2, can't complain really, and didn't have to eat for quite a while after all those carbs. Yesterday we went out for a pique, which is basically a sharing platter of meat, and I mean a LOT of meat I, of course, didn't know what meat exactly and definitely ate cow udder, but it was pretty tasty really! This was after I'd already had a full on cooked lunch a few hours before, I may well be unrecognisable when I return.

Yesterday evening was incredible. We drove up the mountains (I say we, but thankfully I wasn't driving as that wouldn't end well) and spent a few hours swimming in a pool under the stars, it was boiling as it was heated by a thermal spring and was absolutely gorgeous, the views of Cochabamba on the way back down were stunning, I took some photos which do it no justice what so ever, but this is something like how it looked... feeling very blessed to be here.

This isn't my photo!

I realise I haven't actually written much about the work I've been doing, whoops! I taught my first English lesson on Thursday, English grammar is tricky at the best of times, explaining it in Spanish was quite a challenge but I think it went well! Also helped make cakes with a group of women and have been helping in the 3/4 year-old classes most mornings (this tends to involve colouring in pictures of animals) everyone here is so so lovely, the sense of community is really special.

Hasta luego x